fTourism 3D cube Word Cloud ConceptThe question is: Can I rent my apartment for weekly holiday lets in the Canaries? 

Weekly rental via advertising (internet, press, estate and travel agencies, etc) is considered as a commercial rental or use other than residential, and this activity falls within the exclusive jurisdiction of the Canarian Government, for which reason it is regulated by regional legislation.

Before privately offering an apartment as touristic accommodation you must be aware that Canarian law imposes heavy financial penalties for this type of tourism operation when it is carried out illegally. 

Before starting out, therefore, it is important to be informed and understand the following very clearly:

  • How is touristic rental defined?
  • What types of rental are there?
  • How can I offer an apartment as tourist accommodation legally?
  • What are the penalties for breaking Canarian tourism law?

How is touristic rental defined?

In 2013, article 5 of the Spanish Urban Letting Law was modified to define touristic rental for the first time.

This type of rental is explicitly excluded from the legal framework within which private rentals (long- and short-term) are regulated in national legislation.

So, touristic rental is defined as “the temporary transfer of the use of a whole dwelling, furnished and equipped for immediate occupation, marketed or promoted through tourism channels and carried out for financial reward, while subject to a specific regime derived from the regulations of its sector”Article 5 e) introduced by section 2 of the first article of Ley 4/2013, of 4 June, concerning means of flexibilization and development of the rental property market («B.O.E.» 5 June).Valid: 6 June 2013

Therefore, if you are offering a furnished apartment (“dwelling furnished and equipped for immediate occupation”), through any publicity medium (“tourism channels”) and listing prices for a stay (“financial reward”) you must do it with the appropriate authorization required by the legislation passed by the regional Government where the property is located (“regulations of its sector”), or you run the risk of severe and substantial fines.

What kinds of non-hotel touristic rental are there?

  1. a) Apartment rental in multiple-occupancy tourist complexes – this is governed by the sole agent system which allows only one tourist agency per complex.
  2. b) Apartment rental in multiple-occupancy residential complexes, or in individual private dwellings – this is not governed by the sole agent system (Regulated in Decreto 113/2015 of 22 May)
  3. c) Rental of touristic villas located in complexes built in one or several accommodation units on land designated as touristic.
  4. d) Rental of Traditional (Emblematic) Houses,e. houses on land designated as non-touristic consolidated urban, and where the building is classified as historical heritage (patrimonio histórico).
  5. e) Rental of Rural Houses on rustic land.


How can I legally offer an apartment/house as tourist accommodation?

If it is in a touristic complex, you have to come to an arrangement with the sole agent and register your apartment with the Cabildo as a holiday rental apartment.

If it is in a residential area outside of tourist zones, you must follow the procedure set in Decree 113/2015 of 22 May, and register the apartment with the Cabildo.

What are the penalties for breaking Canarian tourism legislation by illegally offering tourist accommodation?

Fines are imposed according to the following scale:


  1. for offences deemed light, up to €1,500;
  2. for serious offences, between €1,501 and €30,000;
  3. for very serious offences, between €30,001 and €300,000.

The scale depends on damage caused by the offence; its social significance; previous offences; the speculative purpose; the profit obtained illegally; the position of the offender in the rental market and any repercussions on the tourist image; the type and category of the accommodation or nature of the activity in question and its repercussions for the rest of the sector, as well as how quickly legal behaviour is adopted provided that the rights of the tourists are not affected. The fines issued must include, specifically and in detail, the consideration given to these criteria in determining the amount of the penalty imposed.

More information about procedures, requirements, forms and applications in

Spanish version


La pregunta es ¿Puedo alquilar mi apartamento por semanas a turistas en Canarias?

El alquiler por semanas mediante publicidad (internet, prensa, inmobiliarias, agencias de viajes etc) es considerado un alquiler comercial o de uso distinto al de vivienda y esta actividad es competencia exclusiva del Gobierno de Canarias, por ello esta regulado en la legislación autonómica.

Antes de ofertar un apartamento privado como alojamiento a turistas hay que tener en cuenta que la legislación Canaria prevee graves sanciones económicas para este tipo de explotación turística, cuando se lleva a cabo de forma ilegal.

Por tanto, antes de iniciar la actividad,  es necesario informarse previamente y tener muy claro lo siguiente  …

¿Que se entiende por alquiler turístico?

¿Cuales son sus modalidades?

¿Como puedo ofrecer legalmente un apartamento como alojamiento turístico?

¿Cuales son las sanciones por incumplimiento de la normativa turística autonómica?

¿Que se entiende por alquiler turístico?

En el año 2013 se modificó el articulo 5 de la Ley de Arrendamientos Urbana (estatal) para definir por primera vez el arrendamiento turístico.

Esta modalidad de arrendamiento esta expresamente excluido del regimen legal aplicable a los arrendamientos privados (largo plazo y temporada), regulados en la Legislación estatal.

Se considera por tanto alquiler turístico a …”La cesión temporal de uso de la totalidad de una vivienda amueblada y equipada en condiciones de uso inmediato, comercializada o promocionada en canales de oferta turística y realizada con finalidad lucrativa, cuando esté sometida a un régimen específico, derivado de su normativa sectorialLetra e) del artículo 5 introducida por el apartado dos del artículo primero de la Ley 4/2013, de 4 de junio, de medidas de flexibilización y fomento del mercado del alquiler de viviendas («B.O.E.» 5 junio).Vigencia: 6 junio 2013

Por tanto si usted esta ofertando un apartamento amueblado (“vivienda amueblada y equipada en condiciones de uso inmediato”), por cualquier medio publicitario (“canales de oferta turística”) y además publica una lista de precios por la estancia (“finalidad lucrativa”) debe hacerlo con la preceptiva autorización regulada por la legislación autonómica donde se ubica su apartamento/propiedad. (“normativa sectorial”), o pueden imponerse graves y cuantiosas sanciones.

¿Cuales son las modalidades de alquiler turístico extrahotelero?

a) Alquiler de Apartamentos en complejos turísticos compuesto por múltiples unidades de alojamiento – Esta sometido al principio de unidad de explotación (solo puede haber una empresa explotadora por complejo)

b) Alquiler de viviendas en complejos residenciales compuesto por múltiples unidades o bien  en viviendas unifamiliares aisladas  – No esta sometido al principio de unidad de explotación (Regulado en el Decreto 113/2015 de 22 de mayo)

c) Alquiler de Villas turísticas en complejos ubicados en suelo turístico compuesto por una o varias unidades de alojamiento de tipología edificatoria aislada

d) Alquiler de Casas emblemáticas, es decir,  ofertar inmuebles situados en suelo urbano consolidado no turístico, en un edificio clasificado como patrimonio histórico

e) Alquiler de Casas rurales ubicadas en en suelo rústico


¿Como puedo ofrecer legalmente un apartamento/vivienda como alojamiento turístico?

Si esta situado en un complejo turístico, debe llegar a un acuerdo con la empresa explotadora y registrar su apartamento en el cabildo Insular para destinarlo a este uso.

Si esta situado en suelo residencial fuera de las zonas turísticas, deberá seguir el procedimiento previsto en el Decreto 113/2015 de 22 de mayo y registrar su apartamento en el Cabildo Insular.

¿Cuales son las sanciones por incumplimiento de la legislación Canaria por oferta de alojamiento turístico de forma ilegal?

Las multas se impondrán según la siguiente escala:

a) En las infracciones leves, hasta 1.500 euros.

b) En las graves: entre 1.501 y 30.000 euros.

c) En las muy graves: entre 30.001 y 300.000 euros.

Para su graduación se atenderá a los perjuicios causados, la trascendencia social, la reincidencia, la intencionalidad especulativa, el lucro ilícito obtenido, la posición del infractor en el mercado y la repercusión sobre la imagen turística, la modalidad y categoría del establecimiento o características de la actividad de que se trate y las repercusiones para el resto del sector, así como la inmediatez en el restablecimiento de la legalidad siempre que no resulten afectados los derechos de los usuarios turísticos. En la resolución sancionadora deberá constar, particular y pormenorizadamente, la consideración efectuada de dichos criterios en la determinación de la cuantía de la sanción que se imponga.

Más información sobre procedimientos, requisitos, formularios e instancias en

The Legal Information Hub





Author: J. Escobedo

I am a member of the Tenerife Law Society since 1989 with a dedicated team for anyone who needs an immediate answer or long term solution to any practical or legal issues appertaining to any property or business investment in Spain. If you have decided to move to Spain to start a new life, whether that´s buying a property or a business, then you will definitely need the services of a good Spanish Lawyer who is fully conversant with Spanish protocol and who has a good command of the English language. I am based in the south of Tenerife and I am specialist in Property Law, Inheritance issues and taxes as well as Tenerife and Canarian law and a great deal more. ABOUT MY STAFF All my friendly and professional staff are fluent in English. We have been working for foreign clientes for over 30 years in Tenerife, providing legal advice and litigation services to all our clients investing throughout the whole of Spain and we pride ourselves on providing a high quality service to our clients in the form of clearer communication and advice.

Leave a Reply