group of stick figures peopleIn this article we analyse the situation of people from countries which are not EU member states, and who move to Spain to reside on a temporary or permanent basis. We also give a simple overview of the basic procedures to be able to reside in Spain.

Living in Spain for a period of not more than 90 days is known as estancia (a visit) and when the period is over 90 days it is called residencia (residence).

Residence can be of short or long duration. In order to acquire legal residence certain criteria must be complied with and administrative authorizations obtained, and for these you will need a passport or identity-accrediting travel document, VISA or ID card, as applicable.

Let’s analyse the various cases:


Estancia is defined as a visit to Spanish territory for a period not in excess of 90 days.

After 90 days have passed, remaining in Spain requires either an extension of stay or an authorization of residence.

There are two scenarios:

If someone arrives with a visa of less than three months, a visit can be extended for a maximum of a further three months, making a maximum visit of six months.

If someone arrives without a visa but in exceptional justifying circumstances, a visit of more than three months may be authorized.


Foreigners who are in Spain with authorization to live in the country are deemed residents.

Residencia is the condition of those foreigners who have been authorized to live in the country in a more or less stable form for a period of time greater than that of a visit, i.e. for more than 90 days.

Residents can have either temporary, or long-term, residence.

Temporary Residence

Temporary residence is when someone is authorized to stay in Spain for a period greater than 90 days but less than five years. Authorizations for temporary residence of under five years can be renewed on request, with the applicant’s circumstances being taken into account.

There are two types:

Without work authorization: the initial temporary residence authorization which does not incorporate work authorization will be given to those foreigners who have sufficient means for themselves and any family.

With work authorization: the initial temporary residence and work authorization which allows the person to carry out economic activities on their own or someone else’s behalf.

In all cases, there are two prerequisites for temporary residence authorization:

• Lack of a criminal record in Spain or in previous countries of residence for crimes as defined by Spanish Law

• Not to be undesirable within the territories of countries with which Spain has signed an agreement to that end.

Foreigners authorized for temporary residence must inform the relevant authorities of any change in nationality, marital status, or address.

Renewal of temporary residence permits

Renewal of temporary residence authorizations will be assessed according to:

• criminal record

• failure to comply with tax and social security obligations.

Particular importance will be attached to the efforts that the foreign applicant has made towards integration, accredited through a positive report from the Autonomous Community.

Long-term Residence

Long-term residence is when someone is authorized to reside and work in Spain indefinitely, under the same conditions as Spanish nationals.

A foreigner who is a long-term resident will be able to demonstrate it with an ID card which must be renewed every five years.

Foreigners have the right to long-term residence in Spain when they have had temporary residence for five continuous years (including periods of previous continued residence in other EU member states as Blue Card holders), and when they have met the conditions as regulated.

Foreigners who are long-term residents in another EU member state can request and acquire a long-term residence permit in Spain when they are going to carry out an activity on their own or someone else’s behalf, or for other purposes. If they wish to retain the status of long-term resident acquired in the first member state, however, they may apply for and obtain a temporary residence permit in Spain.

Long-term residence will be terminated under the following circumstances:

• when the authorization was obtained fraudulently

• when an expulsion order is issued

• when the resident leaves EU territory for 12 consecutive months.


Residencia and NIE are applied for at the nearest Immigration Office (Extranjería). You will receive a residence card within a few weeks, though it can take several months depending on the time of year.

There is a full list of these offices on the Interior Ministry’s website

Documents needed by all applicants (EU and non-EU nationals):

• Original plus copy of valid passport

• 3 recent passport-type photographs with your name clearly written on the back

• Original plus three copies of completed application form.

Other documents which could be requested:

• Medical certificate depending on country of origin and recent residence.

• If a member of the family is Spanish (or resident)

• The Libro de Familia (family book) and DNI (or residencia card) of the family member

• Empadronamiento

• Medical insurance.

In certain cases the following could be required:

• If you are going to work for someone: an offer of contracted employment

• If you are going to be self-employed: documents which show you fulfil the prerequisites of the intended work

• If you are not going to work: documents that show you have sufficient means to finance your stay in Spain, and medical insurance

• If you are studying in Spain: evidence that you are enrolled in an accredited establishment, and proof of sufficient funds to finance study in Spain, and medical insurance.

En este articulo analizamos la situación de todas aquellas personas, procedentes de países que no son miembros de la unión Europea, y que se desplazan a España para establecer su residencia de forma temporal o permanentemente. También abordamos de forma sencilla los trámites básicos para obtener la residencia en España.

La permanencia en España por un periodo no superior a 90 días se denomina estancia y cuando es superior a 90 días se denomina residencia.

La residencia puede ser temporal o de larga duración. Para obtener la residencia legal se deben cumplir unos requisitos y obtener unas autorizaciones administrativas para las cuales será necesario estar en posesión de pasaporte o documento de viaje que acredite su identidad, visado o tarjeta de identidad de extranjero, según corresponda.

Pasemos pues a analizar los diferentes supuestos


La estancia es definida como: La permanencia en territorio español por un período de tiempo no superior a 90 días

Una vez transcurridos los 90 días, para permanecer en España será preciso obtener o una prórroga de estancia o una autorización de residencia.

Se distinguen dos supuestos:

Si se entró con visado, cuando la duración de éste sea inferior a tres meses, se puede prorrogar la estancia, que en ningún caso podrá ser superior a tres meses, en un período de seis meses.

Si se entró sin visado, cuando concurran circunstancias excepcionales que lo justifiquen, puede autorizarse la estancia de un extranjero en el territorio español más allá de tres meses.


Son residentes los extranjeros que se encuentren en España y sean titulares de una autorización para residir.

La residencia es la situación en la que se encuentran aquellos extranjeros que han sido autorizados para residir en España de una forma más o menos estable, por un período de tiempo superior al de la estancia, es decir, por más de 90 días.

Los residentes podrán encontrarse en la situación de residencia temporal o de residencia de larga duración.

Residencia temporal

La residencia temporal es,  la situación que autoriza a permanecer en España por un período superior a 90 días e inferior a cinco años. Las autorizaciones de duración inferior a cinco años podrán renovarse, a petición del interesado, atendiendo a las circunstancias que motivaron su concesión.

Se distingue:

Sin autorización de trabajo: la autorización inicial de residencia temporal que no comporte autorización de trabajo se concederá a los extranjeros que dispongan de medios suficientes para sí y, en su caso, para los de su familia.

Con autorización de trabajo: la autorización inicial de residencia temporal y trabajo, que autorizará a realizar actividades lucrativas por cuenta propia y/o ajena.

En todos los casos, para autorizar la residencia temporal de un extranjero es preciso cumplir dos requisitos:

  • Carecer de antecedentes penales en España o en los países anteriores de residencia, por delitos existentes en el ordenamiento español.
  • No figurar como rechazable en el espacio territorial de países con los que España tenga firmado un convenio en tal sentido.

Los extranjeros con autorización de residencia temporal vendrán obligados a poner en conocimiento de las autoridades competentes los cambios de nacionalidad, estado civil y domicilio.

Renovación de autorizaciones de residencia temporal

Para la renovación de las autorizaciones de residencia temporal, se valorará en su caso:

  • Los antecedentes penales.
  • El incumplimiento de las obligaciones del extranjero en materia tributaria y de seguridad social.

Se valorará especialmente el esfuerzo de integración del extranjero que aconseje su renovación, acreditado mediante un informe positivo de la Comunidad Autónoma.

Residencia de larga duración

La residencia de larga duración es definida  como: la situación que autoriza a residir y trabajar en España indefinidamente, en las mismas condiciones que los españoles.

El extranjero que adquiera la condición de residente de larga duración podrá acreditarla mediante su tarjeta de identidad, que deberá renovarse cada cinco años.

Tienen derecho a residencia de larga duración los que hayan tenido residencia temporal en España (computarán los períodos de residencia previa y continuada en otros Estados miembros, como titular de la tarjeta azul de la UE) durante cinco años de forma continuada, que reúnan las condiciones que se establezcan reglamentariamente.

Los extranjeros residentes de larga duración en otro Estado miembro de la Unión Europea podrán solicitar por sí mismos y obtener una autorización de residencia de larga duración en España cuando vayan a desarrollar una actividad por cuenta propia o ajena, o por otros fines. No obstante, en el supuesto de que los extranjeros residentes de larga duración en otro estado miembro de la Unión Europea deseen conservar el estatuto de residente de larga duración adquirido en el primer estado miembro, podrán solicitar y obtener una autorización de residencia temporal en España.

La extinción de la residencia de larga duración se producirá en los casos siguientes:

  • Cuando la autorización se haya obtenido de manera fraudulenta.
  • Cuando se dicte una orden de expulsión.

Cuando se produzca la ausencia del territorio de la Unión Europea durante 12 meses consecutivos.


Para obtener la residencia y el NIE, debes solicitarlo en la Oficina de Extranjeros más cercana. Una vez que lo hagas recibirás la tarjeta de residencia en unas cuantas semanas, aunque dependiendo de la época del año este proceso puede llegar a demorar varios meses.

En la página web del Ministerio del Interior se encuentra disponible una lista completa de las Oficinas de extranjeros:

Documentos necesarios para todos los solicitantes (comunitarios y extracomunitarios):

Pasaporte vigente. Original y copia.

3 fotografías recientes tipo pasaporte con tu nombre escrito claramente en el reverso.

Solicitud debidamente cumplimentada. Original y tres copias.

Otros documentos que te pueden pedir son:

Certificado médico dependiendo del país de procedencia y residencia reciente.

Si un miembro de la familia es español (o es residente):

El libro de familia y el DNI (o Tarjeta de residencia) del familiar


Seguro medico

Para circunstancias especiales puede aplicar lo siguiente:

Si vas a trabajar para alguien: Una oferta de contrato de trabajo.

Si vas a trabajar por tu cuenta: Documentos que demuestren que cumples los requisitos para desarrollar esa actividad.

Si no vas a trabajar: Documentos que demuestren que cuentas con dinero suficiente para costear tu estancia en España, además de seguro médico.

Si estás estudiando en España: Prueba de que te has matriculado en una escuela acreditada, además de documentos que demuestren que cuentas con dinero suficiente para costear tu estadía en España y un seguro médico.

Author: J. Escobedo

I am a member of the Tenerife Law Society since 1989 with a dedicated team for anyone who needs an immediate answer or long term solution to any practical or legal issues appertaining to any property or business investment in Spain. If you have decided to move to Spain to start a new life, whether that´s buying a property or a business, then you will definitely need the services of a good Spanish Lawyer who is fully conversant with Spanish protocol and who has a good command of the English language. I am based in the south of Tenerife and I am specialist in Property Law, Inheritance issues and taxes as well as Tenerife and Canarian law and a great deal more. ABOUT MY STAFF All my friendly and professional staff are fluent in English. We have been working for foreign clientes for over 30 years in Tenerife, providing legal advice and litigation services to all our clients investing throughout the whole of Spain and we pride ourselves on providing a high quality service to our clients in the form of clearer communication and advice.

Leave a Reply